Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"Becoming Agents of Change" - follow up

For those of you who attended the Partner Abuse facilitators training on Nov. 7, 8, & 9, I thought I would throw out some follow up questions as a way to touch base with you.

For many people who work in batterer intervention, attending a conference like this is a rare chance to talk with others who do the same work. Many folks seem to appreciate the feeling of connection, particularly because those of us who do this work are few and far between. Perhaps the most difficult thing is that during the conference you feel very supported, you're integrating new ideas into your thinking. Then you get back to your agency and you feel the excitement starting to wear off.

Here are some questions that may help you reinforce the bridge between the training atmoshpere and things 'back at the ranch'...

Now that you’re back at your agency and you’ve had time to digest the three days, what sticks out in your mind as most helpful or interesting about the training?

If you've done any groups since the training, what impact have you noticed on your facilitation approach?

What new ideas did you take from the training that you want to continue thinking about?

How do you want to put these ideas into practice?

Do you have any follow up questions that I or others can help you work through?


To post a response, click on "comments" below, then choose either "anonymous" or "other". Choosing "other" gives you the option to leave your name, but feel free to remain anonymous. Once you've typed your comment, click "publish".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,
You're right, I did really appreciate the feeling of connection! Since the conference, I have co-facilitated several groups and the first thing I've done more of is invite the group as a whole to participate more in the process of discussion and opinions and I've already noticed a change in the demeanor of the group as a whole. My feeling was that the guys felt more valued and enjoyed being asked about their opinions and thoughts on issues. I felt more of an ease in the group as a whole and I hope they felt the same! I truly enjoyed watching you and Cheri model an egalitarian partnership...I've thought about this alot since returning home and I've already started to implement some changes in my own style of co-facilitating. Again Andy, thanks for all the truly valuable teaching!!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth Ann,

That sounds great.

I think there's a tendency when we do batterer's groups to rely heavily on confrontation, because of the value-laden nature of this work. This is important, but what sometimes gets lost for the facilitator is the ability to relax and invite the men toward change (rather than always confronting their lack of change).

I think sometimes facilitators need to be reminded that it's OK to like these guys. It's OK to respect their opinion. More importantly, it's OK (dare I say necessary) to believe that they CAN change.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I have worked with numerous victims of abuse, but less so with offenders. It is hard for me to work with the abusers, so I often refer them to another colleague. Sounds like this would have been a great training workshop to attend.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home